Sunday, November 13, 2011

'Dance, dance, otherwise we are lost'


Last night I cooked my first ever roast. It was a success. I mean, obviously, sticking some meat in an oven isn't difficult but timing everything else that goes with the meat is, I have decided, an art. I also made apple and blackberry crumble, using the topping recipe my Nana always uses.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
150 grams butter, cubed

You mix all the dry ingrediants together and then rub the butter into the mixture until it's all crumbly. Pour it over stewed fruit in a baking dish and bake at about 160 degrees until the top is all golden and crunchy. So good. Especially when drenched in cream...


This afternoon I went to the Roxy Cinema for the first time since it opened in April this year and saw Pina - A Film for Pina Bausch by Wim Wenders. I didn't really know what to expect of Pina, except that it's a 'dance film' and in 3D.

It was pretty amazing, if a bit long for my short attention span. It's kind of hard to explain the film; it was initially conceived as a documentary about German choreographer Pina Bausch and her company, but she died suddenly early on in the project - hence the 'Film for Pina Bausch' part of the title. It's now performances of parts of pieces she created, historical footage of her dancing, interviews with members of the company she worked with, and, above all, lots and lots of dancing with amazing costumes and simple but striking sets and out in the city of Wuppertal where her company was based. I particularly loved the rain falling on the stage and the piece entitled 'Cafe Muller' where dancers dance with their eyes closed as tables and chairs are moved around them. All of the pieces have lots of repetition and evoke really strong emotions; in the interviews members of the company talk about Pina's mix of fragility and strength which is a strong theme in all of the pieces. The dancers' bodies are incredible - you can literally see almost every muscle moving and they work so hard. Some of the dancers have been with the company for over 20 years and they are so committed to their work, they talk about pushing to create honesty in their work and breaking down their boundaries. Dancing is their whole life.

Also, I was particularly taken by the suspension railway that was shown a number of times in scenes in which dancers danced in and around the city (you can see it in the trailer). I've never seen footage of what looks like an upside down train before. It's so strange and I'm not sure I'm a fan, it seems to dominate the landscape in a weird way because it's above everything - what if a carriage fell down?



Finally, the Roxy is lovely. Very elegant and art deco. I really loved these lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment