Sunday, November 20, 2011

Toast



The weather seemed a bit questionable this morning, but by the time we got to Martinborough it was beautiful. I had to buy a big floppy hat and, although the wind meant I had to hold onto it at times, it was a wise investment. Even if I did look like a 40 year old woman.


My favourite place for food was Ata Rangi. This year Toast Martinborough celebrated its 20th anniversary and Ruth Pretty Catering is the only caterer who has been with the same vineyard every year. My sister and I shared a venison burger with orange ginger glaze and zucchini pickle, and I pretty much ate all of the white chocolate and blackcurrant creme brulee.


We also had fried camembert with mint yoghurt and beetroot chutney at Martinborough Vineyard, chocolate brownie at Murdoch James Estate, crispy pork belly with cabbage slaw, steamed rice and chilli/pomegranate/lime caramel (I'm not sure what that means but it was amazing) and a haloumi crumbed chicken schnitzel turkish sandwich at Palliser Estate where we finished the day. The wine at various places was yum too. I was happy that quite a few places had pinot gris.

We had some good dances, although it got pretty hot at one point, especially at Murdoch James Estate which was basically a giant paddock with no shade. Mostly I just loved being home again. I love Martinborough.



Vynfields' big white house 


The rain started about twenty minutes before we were due to be picked up, but even that was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment